7:30 PM – Mass of the Lord’s Supper, followed by adoration in the chapel until 10 PM
What happened on the original Holy Thursday?
An amazing amount of stuff! This was one of the most pivotal days in the life of Jesus Christ. Here are some of the things the gospels record for this day (including events that happened after midnight). Jesus:
- Sent Peter and John to arrange for them to use the Upper Room to hold the Passover meal.
- Washed the apostles’ feet.
- Held the first Mass.
- Instituted the priesthood.
- Announced that Judas would betray him.
- Gave the “new commandment” to love one another.
- Indicated that Peter had a special pastoral role among the apostles.
- Announced that Peter would deny him.
- Prayed for the unity of his followers.
- Held all the discourses recorded across five chapters of John (John 13-18).
- Sang a hymn.
- Went to the Mount of Olives.
- Prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane.
- Was betrayed by Judas.
- Stopped the disciples from continuing a violent resistance.
- Healed the ear of Malchus, the high priest’s servant, after Peter cut it off with a sword.
- Was taken before the high priests Annas and Caiaphas.
- Was denied by Peter.
- Was taken to Pilate.